Director of Operations Position Available at the
Kentucky International Convention Center
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Work Address: 221 S. Fourth Street, Louisville, Kentucky 40202
Governed by the Kentucky State Fair Board, Kentucky Venues’ two major convention and exposition facilities – the Kentucky Exposition Center and the Kentucky International Convention Center – partner with regional, national and international clients to host world-class events. Kentucky Venues also produces signature events annually: Kentucky State Fair, World’s Championship Horse Show, National Farm Machinery Show, Championship Tractor Pull, North American International Livestock Exposition, North American Championship Rodeo and All-In Hoopfest. Whether it be a trade show, convention, conference, live stage show, livestock exposition, an athletic tournament or a private event, Kentucky Venues has the event space to offer for a successful and memorable event experience.
Kentucky International Convention Center (KICC), located in the heart of downtown Louisville, is the agency’s showcase venue. Nearing the end of a complete two-year renovation, KICC will re-open August 2018 to host a full calendar of major conventions, conferences, expositions and private events. The remarkable new convention center will span over two city blocks, is within steps of Louisville’s major hotels, restaurants and attractions and will continue to operate its two self-owned adjacent parking garages.
This position will serve Kentucky International Convention Center to manage overall operative planning and direction and the implementation of operating policies and direct operating managers, assuring the highest quality service to ensure the booking and rebooking of events. The Director will manage, supervise and coordinate KICC’s daily operations, including those of engineering, facility and equipment maintenance, event set-ups and changeovers, housekeeping and groundskeeping. The Director will ensure an effective and cost-efficient operating program by maintaining KICC’s operating budget. This position interacts and works closely with the State Fire Marshal and other local and state officials.
- Assume management responsibility for all Operations team services and activities including the daily operation of all operational departments, facility and equipment maintenance and event set-ups and changeovers.
- Develop and direct the preparation of comprehensive reports and operational policies.
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of departmental processes and work with managers to resolve deficiencies and challenges.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate all Operations staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with staff to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Administer and negotiate contracts with third party contractors including those of HVAC and lighting systems, waste removal, pest control and snow removal.
- Serve as a liaison to other departments, as well as local and state government divisions; establish and maintain effective working relationships and negotiate and resolve significant and controversial issues.
- Provide responsible staff assistance to the General Manager to develop and administer facility operating and capital budgets.
- Assume responsibility for health, safety, fire and building code compliance.
- Interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
- Oversee consistent and timely communication of event information to Operations departments.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Provide excellent customer service assistance to internal and external clients.
- Participate on organizational and industry committees; attend and participate in professional meetings and conferences; stay abreast of operational best practices.
- Participate in event operations including the requirement to lift or move loads up to 25 lbs.
- Experience with physical plant management.
- Experience with work crew supervision and training for facility operations and performance evaluation.
- Experience with budget preparation and control.
- Experience operating and maintaining boilers, chillers, refrigeration systems and fire protection systems.
- Experience using Ungerboeck event management software.
- Familiarity with pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations, including those of OSHA.
- Skill in meeting high customer service standards and using industry best practices.
- Ability to identify potential problems and determine and implement corrective action.
- Ability to multi-task under specified time constraints; function effectively in moderate to high-pressure situations and in office and facility environments with minimal to loud noise levels.
- Ability to demonstrate effective leadership skills and to direct, motivate and foster collaboration and recognize and resolve conflicts.
- Proficiency in operating a computer and other office devices including calculators, telephones, copy/fax machines and printers and using Microsoft Office including Excel, Outlook and Word.
- Willing and able to work nights, weekends and holidays as required.
- Bachelor’s or technical degree from an accredited college, university or school.
- Experience may be substituted for education.
- At least 5 years of experience in facility operations management.
- At least 3 years of supervisory responsibility at the manager level.
Applicants and employees in this job title may be required to submit to a drug screening test and background check.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resumé and at least 3 professional references to:
Director or Human Resources
The subject line of the email shall state “KICC Director of Operations Vacancy”.
THE COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, AGE, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, GENETIC INFORMATION OR VETERAN STATUS. REASONABLE ACCOMODATION